Skip to main content

At The End of The world

 At the end of the world. Mermaid.


The end of the world looked like nothing. The end of the world looked like all those who failed there. They had drifted for a long time, they arrived carrying worn suitcases, threadbare backpacks, some had nothing, others too much. Some had not taken so long to reach it, they had burned their youth, they stood haggard on the quays, ready to do battle, fist or Surin to board a departing ship.
No map described the access. No one really chose his route. The question was not to reach him but to flee from him.


The bad wine that was poured in the smoky cafes of the port served as a mirror. At the bottom of a glass, a man was contemplating the reflection of the face of a woman he had unloved, further on another saw the outline of his cowardice. A woman with questionable hair was smiling at her own image, a reflection of her good years. The rooms were full, each in his own way drank his pains, his regrets. The scent of alcohol rose to the head, exploded in sprays of resentment and hatred, unfulfilled desires, soft loves, self-serving hypocrisies, cold calculations, fiendish macerations, renouncements. Not all of them were sad, as this group of hilarious sailors feasted on their own baseness. By paying more attention, their exuberance turned out to be feigned, their laughter rang false. Me, I was no better and I was also looking for a boat.
She was adorable, lost, dark circles under her eyes. I sat down at his table, a circle of marble stained with stains, with empty cups and glasses with fingerprint-stained sides. At the end of the world, politeness was a waste of time, weakness. I wanted a wife.
- A glass?
- Thank you, but no, I don't like what you see there.
- My room is upstairs.
She shrugged and raised her face to me. I immersed myself for a moment in his gray eyes, the color of mist, just to see, to steal bits of his history. I saw nothing, not even curiosity, much less desire.
- Can we see the boats in your room?
- You can see all the way to the end of the pier.
- I follow you.
Climbing upstairs, I badly put down her forms. Her threadbare jeans hinted at bits of her caramel-colored skin. She left behind a sweet scent. I pushed open the door. She walked past me, avoiding brushing against me and without a glance. She ran straight to the window, pushed the shutters open, then remained motionless, facing the harbor. Hints of mud and diesel rose from below, with the muffled rumors of the bar room.
Across the street, at the quayside, the black sides of a banana tree stood in the oily waters. The ship would set sail in the morning. A sailor was smoking in front of the gangway.
I would have told her that I was a sailor, that I could get her on board, that she could flee the end of the world with me. But what was the point of lying, I knew she was going to give me what I wanted.
She had thrown her sneakers in a corner of the room. She was standing against the light of the streetlights, I could no longer make out the details of her face, only two reflections in the line of her gaze and a damp glow near her mouth.
- By the way, if you're interested, my name is Lydie.
The range of her voice had changed, nothing to do with the lost woman I had accosted downstairs. She challenged me, stung me to the quick by his attitude, arched, hands behind his back at the level of his kidneys. I had attended a bullfight once in Malaga. I didn't know why, but the comparison seemed perfect, and I was the bull. And then, that she had mentioned her first name had displeased me as if everything was becoming more complicated. I got angry.
- Take off your clothes! I said brutally.
- Olé, she blurted out coldly, as if she had read me.
She lit a cigarette and handed it to me. His saliva on the filter smelled of iodine, of salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Too Short

This story is about a boy who falls in love with an elder girl. The boy's name is Aadesh, he is 16, fresh out of high school. He was quite a simple boy, from a medium-class family, living with his mom and dad. He was not so much an outgoing kind of a nerd but this spring he had other plans, he decided to go to the gym as he had three months till he started college. He started a gym across the city as he didn't want to be bothered while working out. But he had no idea what was waiting next. He started going to the gym on Monday, the first day of the workout made him quite tired. It was 8 in the morning when he left the gym as he started at 6 where he jogged all the way. But after the gym, he was tired and wanted to go on the bus as he was not in a condition to jog across the town. While waiting for the bus he saw a cafe right across the street. He wanted to grab a coffee and there was no sign of a bus afar, he decided to get a coffee real quick. He went to the cafe and

Most Common Story With TWIST

Todays’ story is about father (Louis) and daughter (Honey). After the deceased of Honey’s mother when she was 8, Louis has played both role of mother and father. He didn’t wanted to get married as Honey didn’t wanted step mother. Louis has fulfilled every wish of Honey no matter what she asks for. You can say he has spoiled her, but Honey always knew her limits as well. They were really happy with life, Louis had a restaurant which was doing well, and Honey was studying Fashion and would help Louis with restaurant whenever she had chance. They used to share everything with each other. They has always shared feelings with each other. Expect this time, Honey was hiding something, that she has a boyfriend (Eddie). Honey and Eddie has being going out for few months. They meet at friends’ party, it was love at first sight. Eddie was also in college and was doing part time job as his family was not too well to do. Honey wanted to tell her father that she has a boyfriend, but her fr

Portals

  In the middle of the  21st  century, scientists created the first teleportation device, and twenty years later, portals became commonplace, like microwaves. They were installed in houses under the guise of cabinets, opening the doors of which one could step directly onto the sea coast or, say, to an undeclared dacha of an official somewhere in Switzerland. True, there was a minus: at each opening, the portals connected the cabinet with a random place on earth's land, so the method was not suitable for purposeful travel. Sometimes it was snowing or a scorpion crawled out of the door. Sometimes the portal would open somewhere in the mountains and create a draft of the house. But portals became fashionable anyway. On a good day, opening the door, you could conquer hilly Scotland or enter the Louvre through the toilet, bypassing the ticket office. Friends often sent messages to each other: "The Maldives has opened, take a brazier, fishing rods, Uncle Venya and come to us fas